Sunday, October 11, 2009

Hacked: the Authenticator

After my personal experience of getting my account comprimised I decided its time to become an advicate of the Blizzard Authenticator. I am one of those computer guys that has no spyware issues, knows how to spot keyloggers before hand, and has a strong password. I am the perfect example of the "it will never happen to me".

This is not the first time we have had a guild member get an account hacked. I don't recal it ever happening to another officer. But my hack got everyone's attention. Partialy because of all the stuff and gold involved, but also because I'm one of the last people they ever expected to get hacked.

Our guild now requires all officers to have an authenticator. Anyone that can invite must have one. Officers usualy have a higher allowance to take stuff out of guild banks. When that cap is reached, sometimes its possible to invite a character and promote them up for bank access.

A close friend of mine maintains a small guild on the side also put this rule into place. So if you are reading this now and you don't have one, it is time to go get one.

No comments:

Post a Comment